Danish version 

 
 Sönderballe Nord
 
 Sönderballe By
 
 Hovgaard
 
 Hoptrup
 
 Hoptrup Mark
 
 Persillegade
 
 Skovby
 
 Pothöj
 
 Abkær
 
 Torsbjerg
 
 Sjaellandshus east
 
 Sjaellandshus west
 
 Hyrup
 
 Hyrup West
 
 Hyrup Forrest
 
 Hyrup Vestermark
 
 Pughöj
 
 Kirkehöj
 
 Allerup Krat
 
 Hönning
 
 Höjbjerg
 
 Arrild
 
 Öster Gasse
 
 Gasse Höje
 
 Hjemsted
 
 
 

 Start





 








 

 

 

 

 







































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































 




















































 

 
Sikringsstilling Nord (Sicherungsstellung Nord) 1916-18
 
The Medium and Light Batteries

 There was a number of different guns present at the defence line. From 7,7 cm field guns  to 15 cm field haubits and naval guns.
 The Guns that came from the army artillery guns from the navy and coastal defence. Gunners form the  army and gunners from
 the navy.
 It is possible that occupied guns had been used. The Defence Line was reserve, and therefore it didn't  get the modern guns.
 They  were sendt to the Western  and the Eastern Fronts. 
 We know for sure, that in one occation occupied guns has been used (Beutekanonen). At at least one battery Frensh guns from
 Schneider-Canet has been used. Beside France, only Denmark had guns like these, and the Danish guns were at the time placed
 outside Copenhagen.    
 On several occations we meet guns that has been taken out of the old Kiel Forts as Herwarth, Röepsdorff, Höhe and Freienfelde.
 Forts from the late 19th century and from an artillery point of view, old and useless.

 
Clip: Firing a 7,7 cm. fieldgun

 In general there was great need for artillery. The number of men in the Imperial Army was doubled 6 times, which meant radical changes
 in the organisation. From 669 to 2300 infantry battallions and from 642 to 2900 field artillery batallions.
 Initially the Army-Corps (two infantry divisions and a artillery brigade) were the biggest unit. Later the division became the largest unit
 (one infantry brigade, an artilley command of a size fit to the task and a heavy artillery batallion.) In order to arm all the new artilley units,
 the batteries went from 6 to 4 guns. Also occupied guns were used. It is most lightly, that occupied guns has been used in the Defence
 Line in Jutland which, after all, was secondary. It seems, that new artillery units were formed when guns for them were available.   
 

 Start / menu


 The Battery Sönderballe Nord

 
A battery armed with four guns. It was separated i to half batteries, each on a low ridge. The battery was situated aprox. 300 meters
 north-east of the farm Sönderballegaard. The two half batteries should originally have been connected by som trenches.
 The command post is remembered to be rather big. It was and situated in front of, and close to,  the left half of the battery. 
 There is some doubts about the caliber af the guns. Some are telling they were bigger than normal field guns, other tells it was pivot
 mounted naval guns. That leads to a caliber of 12-15 cm. The last sattements are partly confirmed by sayings by a German officer,
 who told some civillians, "that it was difficult for the army gunners to handle the naval guns.  This indicates naval guns, and 15 cm
 was a very common caliber for guns on German warships.

 
           15 cm pivot mounted gun onboard a ship

 Start / menu

   
 The Battery at Sönderballe By

 Battery armed with two light field guns, not exceeding 9 cm. Positioned on a hill side east of the farm Sønderballegård. Possibly a 7,7 cm.
 light field gun, that was rather common. The crew was gunners from the army. 

   
                   7,7 cm let feltkanon

 Start /menu


 The Battery at Hovgaard

 
The battery was armed with four 15 cm guns from the coastal Fort Herwath, Ziegelhof at Kiel.  It was positioned 1700 meters  south of the
 little town Hoptrup. The crew was naval gunners.
 The guns were mounted at a rectangular concrete platform briske af betonplader. In front, and around this, a 2½ meters high and 8-10
 meters wide moad had been made. The guns arrived in the battery 1916.
 Along the road to the battery, a number of small bunkers should have been placed. Behind these two larger bunkers were placed. One of
 these should be intact, but covered.
 A telephone switchboard was established in the the livingroom at the farm på Ottesgaard, 900 meters south of the battery at the east side
 of the mainroad.

 

 Start / menu

 
 
The Batteriet at Hoptrup


 Half battery called kaldet 7A. The other half was battery 7B Persillegade. Caliber unknown.
 On the westside of the main road 500 meters south of the little town Hoptrup. Two bunkers were found at the location.
 Nothing further is known about the battery.


 Start / menu


 The Battery at Hoptrup Mark.

 
Battery of 4 guns mounted on carriages on wheels. The German name Battery No. 8 (Batterie 8.)
 The Battery was positioned on the southern hillside 1200 meters south of the hills called the "Switzerland of Hoptrup".  
 A moat has been made in front of the battery, and the guns has been mounted on platforms of timber.  Concrete has only been used for
 ammunitions storages at the western end of the battery. Holes has been made for two bunkers that has never been build.
 In front of the battery there was heavy fences of barbed wire.


 Start / menu



 The Batteriet at Persillegade

 
 Half Battery 7B, part of the battery that also included the half battery at Hoptrup, called  7B. Unknown caliber.
 The Battery was situated on at very steep hill 1400 metres west of the town Hoptrup. An observation bunker that was also command
 station were placed in a tomb hill at the top of the hill. On the south side of the hill, positions of two guns was made.
 The munition storages was only thin steelplate, open in both ends.
 The rooms are not completely known. Under the garage in a private property nearby, there is a large room that is said to be the
 room for the crew. In the middle of the south side of the hill, there is an entrance to a 5 metres long tunnel. It is said to be leading to the
 observation bunker, but it was never finished.


 Start / menu
 


 
The Battery at Skovby

 Heavily composed medium battery consisting of 6 pcs. 12 cm. coastal guns from Fort Freienfelde at Kiel.
 It was situated at a roadcrossing 600 metres northwest of the little town Skovby. The guns were mounted in high carriages on concrete
 platfroms (4x6 metres). Timber was placed along the wheels. The rear of the platform was cirkular, to allow the gun to be moved side-
 wards.
 The command station was rather special. 2,5x3,5 metres of timber room with af concrete floor. It was digged into a little hill, so only the
 entrance was visible. From the entrance a little tunnel lead to the room itself. Frm here at stair lead to a room above, made of vertical
 steel bars.
 

 The battery Commander Kapitän-leutnant Vogel shoud, according to those who actually saw the battery; have a master of camouflage.
 The battery, that was placed on flat ground, was hardly discovered in a distance of 50 metres.
 (ref. Mogens S. Hansen)

 
                  12 cm kanon in a high carriage
 
                                   The Skovby Battery
 

 Start / menu


 
 The Batteriy at Pothöj


 
The Battery was armed with four field guns mounted in 2 half batteries with a crew of naval gunners. The caliber is unknown, but 9 cm.
 has been mentioned as medium 10,5 or 8,4 cm ??
 The caliber 8,5 or 9 cm was not common, but 10,5 was very common for the German naval or coastal guns.  The crew of naval gunners
 could also indicate 10,5 cm. It could, however, also be guns of foreign origin. (Beutekanonen).
 The battery was placed 1300 metres north-north-west of the little town Skovby. There was a room for the crew, builded of concrete and
 steelplates.

 
Maskingeværstilling på bagsiden af Pothøj.
Stillingen er bygget sammen med opholdsrum på modsat side.

  Start / menu



 The Batter at Abkär
 
 
The Battery was composed of five 12.5 cm guns from Fort Schrevendorff, Kiel. The Crew was naval gunners. 
 The guns were on carriages, placed on a base of timber. They were camouflage painted and covered with net, in which vegetation
 was placed as
camouflage.
 
The Battery was situated on a little hill in the Abkær Mose (moor), the only possible place. The rooms were made of concrete, and the
 ceiling armoured with railway tracks.
 Nothing further is known about this battery.

 
Start / menu



 
Yhe Battery at Torsbjerg

 The battery was composed of four pivot mounted naval guns. The caliber presumeably 15 cm. This was the most common  caliber for the
 German medium guns. The battery was situated 2400 metres south of Over Jerstal. The guns were mounted on a concrete platform.
 The rooms for the crew were concrete n top of some steelplates.  Thew surrounding moads were ½-2 metres wide and 2 metres
 deep. The moads were secured with small fascines and several stairs to battery were constructed.
 At the arrival these guns were, according to wittnesses, guarded much better than other batteries which indicates that this was a strategic
 key battery and the guns modern.

                             
                                                    15 cm. coastal gun
 
  
        15 cm kanon mounted on deck of en U-boat
 

 Start / menu



 
The Själlandshus East Battery

 The Battery was armed with four 9 cm. field guns placed 2700 metres south-south-east of the town Bevtoft. The platform was presumably
 timber. There were both romms for the crew and ammunition storage, but nobody knows of it. The crew was army gunners.  
 A rather strange battery, because the gunner crew considered it with a great deal of disrespect. They loudly spoke of its age and
 that it was useles. The battery was also badly guarded, and the boys from the area could play around it. These boys could later tell,
 that they never saw munition in the battery. 
 (ref. Mogens S. Hansen)

 9 cm is not a common caliber on german field guns. This 84 mm gun M 1887 could be a possible reason to the disrespect of the crew
 if it were 4 of these that was present in the battery.

 
                               84 mm kanon M 1887

 Start / menu



 The Själlandshus West Battery

 The Battery was armed with four 15 cm. guns. It was placed 2400 metres south of the town Bevtoft and 800 metres west of the
 Sjællandshus East Battery. The crew was gunners from the army. Initial Target: The Valsbæk Moor. The battery placed on a little sandy
 hill. A couple of tomb hills from the stone-age were damaged during the construction.
 There were both room for the crew an a munition storage.   
 The 12 cm. guns are known in several editions.

 

 Start / menu

 

 
The Battery at Hyrup

 The battery was armed with two pivot mounted haubits. It was situated in the western part of the little town Hyrup. There were two rooms
 for the crew and two ammunition stores. 
 The guns were significant. They were caliber 15,5 cm, not used by the German artillery. It was Canet M.1892. (Schneider-Canet)
 (The same type The Danish Army used on the artillery train at the Defence Line of Copenhagen.)

 This type of gun was only delivered to France and Denmark, why it must be occupied guns from France. It is the only battery where use
 of occupied guns are registered. The observation bunker was placed 800 metres east of the battery.

 Start / menu


 

 
The Battery Hyrup West

 Battery composed of 4 guns. Situated 400 metres west of Hyrup Main street. There is no informations if there ever was guns

 
stationed here. It could have been a alternative position. Platforms were planned for gun number 1 and 3.

 
Start / menu




 The Battery in Hyrup Forest
 
 Battery aemed with four 10,5 cm. haubits. Situated in the south western part of Hyrup Wood. This battery was supposed to support with
 flanking fire in the area in front (North) of the city of Toftlund. In the battery there were 13 rooms, with two munitions storage rooms and
 for each battery one room for the crew.
 Observation was made form a so called "Baumbeobachtung". A wooden box was tied to the top of four trees. From here latter´s were
 made to the ground. The observer could enter the box and from here observe the artillery fire. This post was situated southeast of the
 battery. In front of the battery there also were normal observation bunkers.

 
                                  10,5 cm. haubitz

 Start / menu



 The Battery at Hyrup Vestermark

 Batteri armed with 4 12 cm. guns from Fort Feldscheide at Kiel. High carriages. it was placed 2500 metres west-south-west of the
 old schol in Hyrup. The crew consisted of naval gunners. The battery had once been placed at Höjbjerg, North of the town Arrild but was
 moved. There was three observations places. The Main bunker in tomb hill 300 metres north of the battery. A reserve observation stand
 east of this. A observation place in the treetops (Baumbeobachtung) in the north western corner of Hyrup Skov (Hyrup forrest).  Finally
 there was a frontal observation post (Vorgeschobene beobachtung) at Göttrup 2000 metres north of the battery.    

 
                                 12 cm. gun

 Start / menu
 




 
The Battery at Pughöj

 Battery planned to consist of 2 guns, 800 metres south of the city Toftlund.  Beside the platforms, the battery consisted of 7 rooms.
 There has never been observed guns in the battery. It might have been a reserve position.



 
Start / menu




 Batteriet Kirkehøj

 The battery was armed with four guns, divided in two half batteries west-north-west of the town Toftlund. There were 200 meters
 between the two half's. Guns has only been observed in the western part. The Ammunition, that were stored in the open, is described
 as a diameter of 15 cm and a lenght of 60 cm.  The observation bunker was placed 600 meters North of the battery.
 The battery is the only existing intact battery in the defenceline.  


 Start / menu



 The Battery at Allerup Krat

 The Battery was at a length of 150 meters with four 12 cm guns. It was situated along at little road in a wood, that divided the battery in
 two half’s. At tunnel under the
road was constructed to connect the two half’s. The crew was consisting of army gunners. Primary target
 was a moor area a little north of the Lindet Skov (wood). The observations bunker was situated 400 meters west of the battery
  

 
                                                    KUK 12 cm. gun.

 Start / menu



 
The Battery at Hönning

 The Battery had a length of 200 meters, armed with four 9 cm field guns. The guns were mounted in pairs, with large distance between
 them. All the rooms were made of timber and connected with a moat. In the bottom of this timber were laid  because of the water in the
 battery area. The battery was situated west of Hönning. At the back edge of the battery moat, the rooms were placed. The rooms were
 connected to the moat by tunnels.  
 It is a fact, that the battery shot with shrapnel’s at had the same main target as another battery. 

 
      Demolition in Hønning by the Danish Army 1922

 Start / menu




 The Battery at Höjbjerg (Höhberg)

 A battery armed with four 12 cm guns from Fort Feldscheide at Kiel. The guns were mounted in high carriages. The battery was
 divided in two half’s (east and west) in the garden of two private properties 800 meters north of Arrild
. Crew of naval gunners. 
 The battery was never finished. In the western half, rooms in a number of two guns, while there in the eastern half only is a storage
 room. In both half’s there was a moat secured with fascines. The guns were mounted on concrete platforms with timber along the
 wheels. 
 At the Southern side of the position an observation there was a tower mentioned as PionierBeobachtungswarte Höhberg. From
 here the test firing was observed. The real observation stand was placed250 meters north north east of the battery.
 There was a lot of water in the areas, and it was constantly drained. In spite of this, there always was water in the battery area.

 The guns were test fired to an area north west of Fiskholm. After the test firing, the battery was inspected by Prinz Heinrich who

 
disqualified it. Then the Batterie Dieckmann (named after the battery commander) was moved to its new place at  Hyrup Vestermark.


 Start / menu




 
The Battery at Arrild

 Battery at a length of 250 meters composed of four 12 cm guns from Fort Höhe at Kiel. The guns were mounted on high carriages.
 The crew was naval gunners. The battery was placed at Arrild Præsteskov,  replacing the battery at Højbjerg 600 meters north that
 was an impossible position.
 We know the number of shells in the battery.
 
Pro geschütz                                 100 grenades
 Scrapnels                                  
      50 pieces
 Kartäschen und Kartuschen          10 pieces
 The battery had a test firing in 1917, and there was told about shelling around the farms  Lindholmgaard and Lindetgaard.  Another
 battery had a test firing that day. The observation bunker was placed 800 meters west of Hønning.


 Start / menu





 
The Battery at Öster Gasse

 Battery armed with four 12 cm guns frm Fort Höhe at Kiel. They were mounted on high carriages on wheels. The crew consisted of
 gunners from the navy. Commanding officer Kapitän Leutnant Dill. Situated west offor Øster Gasse schoolskole, where the road form
 Arrild to Skærbæk passes Öster Gasse. The Battery was placed on the north side of the road.
 The battery was divided in two halfs. (zug)  The 1. Zug at the school, and the 2. Zug 220 metres to the west. The guns were mounted
 on heavy concrete platforms. Behind the to platforms two three hand room magasines were placed. The main ammunition storage
 and room for the crew was placed behind them. The initial target was a moor area 600 metres north af Gejlbjerg. The battery area
 had to be dried out constantly. The observation bunker was placed 600 metres east of the Gasse Höje. Another bunker was placed
 at the former crossing in the northern end of the Kalby Forrest.


 
Start / menu




 The Battery in the Gasse Hills
 
 This Battery was armed with four 9 cm field guns.  It was Placed between a double barrow 700 meters west south west of Gasse höje.
 It Is told the guns was placed I holes with timber to stabilize the edges.  It was not even camouflaged.

 
                                   9 cm field gun m/96

 Start / menu


 The
Battery at Hjemsted
 
 A Battery armed with four field guns. The caliber is unknown. Placed on the backside of a hill at Hjemsted 1900 meters west south west
 of the Skärbäk railway Station. Nothing further is known about the battery. 




 
Start / menu